Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Ladybug, Ladybug, fly away home...

     ...Your house is on fire and your children are alone."

I always hated that little rhyme. I felt sorry for the mom-bug having her house burn while she was out doing some mom-thing, like gathering food for the baby-bugs. I worried for the baby-bugs; would she make it back in time?

In the news this morning there was an AWFUL story about a human mom who was off milking the cows when her family home literally burned down, killing six of her seven children. That is an unfathomable loss a real person is enduring right this moment; it isn't a story or a rhyme.

My own house isn't on fire, but I smell smoke. I worry I may misread the signals for being too busy.  There have been some serious family crises unfolding at home and presently they are threatening my student-hood. As a mom, a "nontraditional" student, and a business owner, I am pretty busy. I was actually spread rather REALLY thinly before starting school. I guess when I started, I was naively thinking "what's a little more work?" It is a lot, actually.

Suddenly I am very torn about my commitments. I am a scholar, getting paid to go to school (crazy, right?!), but first and foremost I am a mom. I feel like the lady-bug, and suddenly I'm not so sure about the school-thing. I might quit, actually. That sounds dumb from one perspective (I have a 4.0 GPA and a free ride); from another it feels urgent.

I'm feeling very much like it is time to "fly away home."

2 comments:

  1. (Then again, perhaps I should get through finals week before making any drastic decisions--the dreaded "week 10" isn't helping my attitude!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! The choices behind conflicting responsibilities! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do. Follow your heart...it will tell you what is the right choice for you and your loved ones. ( :

    ReplyDelete